Stopping school drop-outs is one of the significant challenges EC is tackling with: Being early school leaving linked to unemployment, social exclusion, and poverty, there are many reasons why some young people give up education and training prematurely: personal or family problems, learning difficulties, or a fragile socio-economic situation.
DIS-CODE aims to train students at drop out risk on improving digital skills and learning maths by studying coding, the 21st century language developing transversal skills such as abstract and analytical thinking, logic and problem solving. The used method will be mainly the one of the flipped classroom, where the traditional lesson method is flipped, meaning that class lectures are substitute by home lessons, and home-works are substitute by exercises in class.
Flipped classroom model is endorsed at EU level: apart from the appraisal of several examples of EU funded projects, based on this model, according to the “Horizons Report Europe: 2014 School Edition”, co-authored by the European Commission and New Media Consortium, the flipped classroom are one pedagogical example of hybrid learning that requires students to engage with web-based content at home, while class is repurposed as an opportunity for teachers to mentor individuals and groups, and for students to problem solve and work together with classmates.
DIS-CODE involves students within the range 12-18 y.o. at drop-out risk and fellow students.
DIS-CODE will develop:
- a training course: from basic computer training towards coding. Coding will focus mainly on learning maths;
- a “DIS-code” community based on: platform with life-assistance, games, a forum moderated on a daily basis, social network-groups.;
- peer-to-peer events where trained students will become trainers of fellow students, introducing them to basics of coding.
The organizations involved are:
- Fondazione Politecnico di Milano (Coordinator) (IT)
- European Digital Learning Network (IT)
- EUN PARTNERSHIP AISBL (BE)
- Cyprus Mathematical Society (CY)
- UNIVERSIDADE PORTUCALENSE INFANTE D.HENRIQUE-COOPERATIVA DE ENSINO SUPERIOR CRL (PT)
- Jednota skolskych informatiku (CZ)
STAY TUNED FOR ALL THE NEWS REGARDING THE PROJECT DEVELOPMENTS!